Advertisement

Pickling juice for...eggs

topic posted Mon, May 29, 2006 - 1:47 AM by  ɹɐǝq
Share/Save/Bookmark
One of my old favorites from LA was pickled eggs. I havn't been able to find them in SF in the last 13 years. Any one have a recipie for pickled eggs?

-Bear
posted by:
ɹɐǝq
Los Angeles
Advertisement
  • looking at this list, i think option #2 was like grandma used to make:

www.members.tripod.com/Howtuz...gs.html
    • Alton Brown did a show on Good Eats about pickled beets, and then he used the juice (after he ate the beets) for pickled eggs -

Roasted Beets, recipe follows
      1 large red onion, frenched
      1 cup tarragon wine vinegar
      1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 cup water

Remove the skin from the Roasted Beets and slice thinly. Arrange in 1-quart jars alternating layers with the onion. In a small pot boil the rest of the ingredients and pour over the beets. Tightly lid the jars and place in the refrigerator for 3 to 7 days before serving.

Roasted Beets:
      6 medium beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining
      2 large shallots, peeled
      2 sprigs rosemary
      2 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.

www.foodnetwork.com/food/rec...5,00.html

• My mom used to just use the juice from a can of pickled beets. Drain the juice into a small bowl and let the hard boiled eggs sit in it, fully covered, in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Yum! Purple eggs. Pretty sliced on salads. I haven't had that in a looooong time.
        • I get a jarred variety of pickled beets, Aunt Nellies, they are the best I have tried - that juice would be good to use, maybe I will try that next time! Meanwhile, I found another recipe, from another mary beth!
          Mary beth's pickled beets and eggs
          Categories: Emeril
          Yield: 4 servings
          1 c White vinegar
          2 c Water
          2 tb Salt
          2 tb Sugar
          5 Whole cloves
          ½ ts Cinnamon
          10 Whole garlic cloves,
          Smashed
          ½ lb Thinly sliced onions
          1 lb Beets, roasted, peeled and
          Cut 1/2-inch thick
          6 Hard-boiled eggs
          Combine the vinegar, water, salt, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and garlic. Bring to a boil, cook for 3 minutes. Add the onions and the beets. Set aside to cool to room temperature. When cool, add the eggs. Place in an air tight container and refrigerate overnight. These will only last about 1 week. The eggs turn purple. ESSENCE OF EMERIL SHOW #EE2177
          www.astray.com/recipes/
      • Unsu...

Julia child's recipe for pickled red cabbage works fantastically for tucking some eggs in. Plus, they come out hot pink. Great flavour, too.
        • so weird- i was looking this one up for work just a couple weeks ago.
          i found lots of recipes, and sorta put them together to make the following one:

2c. white vinegar
          2c. water
          2t. salt
          2t. sugar
          1t. whole black peppercorns
          3 whole cloves
          2 bayleaves
          1 hot chili

julienned white or red onion (i use a mandolin to make rings)
          medium boiled eggs (yolk just barely starting to set up)

so in a sterilized jar (this should be anough liquid for one or two quart jars), put a layer of onions and followed by a layer of eggs. do this til the jar is full, then pour in pickling liquid to fully cover the eggs and onions. LId and refridgerate for 2 days before using.
          this is awesome coz you get pickled eggs and pickled onions.
  • My Daddy used to go to the gas station and ask them to save the jar & juice from the Big Mama or Sausages. He would take it home a fill with a couplea dozen egss. They were sooo yummy, spicy and tangy.

I looked for them on the internet and I guess they don't sell em by the jar anymore. Bummer.
    What ever you pickle them in may I suggest adding a red hot chili to the brine... you'll be glad you did!

On a side note I had about 18 kinds of pickles in my fridge last time I moved... I'm a pickle addict!
  • Down in Cajun land, you often find pickled quail eggs. I did find my jar, and I will gladly pass on the contact info of the cook/distributer.
    They are great with a cold beer.

These are small town, authentic! Not, large city plant, mass produced and missing the local flair and character.

Ingredients listed are: quail eggs, white vinegar, water, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, salt, spices.
    • the recipe i posted i use for quails eggs- these are easy to find at asian markets.
      also forgot to mention in the recipe to boil all the stuff for the liquid together (everything but the eggs and onions) then cool it completely before pouring on the eggs.

Recent topics in "Recipe Exchange"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Banana Bread questions petra 50 July 7, 2013
Sprout Recipes Scarlet 1 April 5, 2013
20 ways to cook eggs dr mork 0 January 25, 2013
Bacon spread 3 December 2, 2012