Advertisement

Salads for people on & off coumadin.

topic posted Sun, February 22, 2009 - 12:10 AM by  Mr. M
Share/Save/Bookmark
I make a simple salad with no lettuce or spinach or other high vitamin K bits. Just simple ren and green bell peppers with tomatos and cucumber. Sometimes I put onion and carrot or other things. Croutons & parmasean cheese too. I recently discovered a new salad dressing I really like alot too. Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame. Reduced fat. Put some "Salad Toppins" on it too? Mmm. Magnifique. Mwah!!! Delish.

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...H20_.jpg - dressing

www.coastgrocery.com/pages/u...y4oz.jpg - toppins
posted by:
Mr. M
California
Advertisement
  • Re: Salads for people on & off coumadin.

Wed, March 4, 2009 - 5:17 PM
    I make a salad with cucumber and tomato with a mayo based dressing - I've thought about adding yellow bell pepper to it, but wondered if the pepper would overpowere the other flavors as pepper can do sometimes. Is this a problem, or do the flavors balance? I do add onion often and a little garlic. I discovered last summer that cilantro takes the tastes over the top (but then I love cilantro). Does cilantro have vitamin K in it? I don't use a lot of it, but enough to season the salad.

Wed, March 4, 2009 - 6:49 PM
      I think cilantro does have vitamin k but I dont eat enough for it to affect me. I dont think at least. Garlic doesnt have K but has an oposite effect in that it thins the blood. Good for people not on coumadin. I used to love garlic. People on coumadin can eat everything actually. If you stick to a regular diet. Like if I ate brocoli or spinach three times a week. They could just work the dosage around the diet. But since I don't eat anything regularly, besides beer, I just stay away from those high in K. It really sucks. Cuz I loves me some hummus too. And cauliflower. But the peppers I like in the salad. Especially the red bell peppers. Mmm tastey & good for you too. What a fabulous combination. What more could I want. Besides millions of dollars. : )

Wed, March 4, 2009 - 8:11 PM
        I made this last summer. I was lucky enough to still have fresh carrots when the beans and shiso were in season

Carrot salad with shiso, maple and mustard

2 cups grated fresh garden carrots- or use a mandolin
        4-6 raw fresh purple pole beans - very thinly sliced
        bunch green onions (green part of the onnion)
        few shiso leaves (i used about 6 purple ones)

dressing:
        zest of 1 meyers lemon
        juice of 2 meyers lemons
        2-3 tbsp chinese sweet mustard
        2-3 tbsp maple syrup

optional: thinly sliced fresh peppers hot or mild

Mix first 4 ingredients, mix dressing and pour on salad. Garnish with
        peppers on top.

I don't know if these ingredients are low in K though, it is just a GOOD salad, that is not a GREEN salad.

Personally I do not feel I have eaten if i do not get both greens AND beans every day. They would have to adjust my dose way high I guess.

Recent topics in "Recipe Exchange"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Banana Bread questions petra 50 July 7, 2013
Sprout Recipes Scarlet 1 April 5, 2013
20 ways to cook eggs dr mork 0 January 25, 2013
Bacon spread 3 December 2, 2012