Advertisement

fudge

topic posted Mon, November 21, 2005 - 7:45 PM by  Incendiary
Share/Save/Bookmark
I fudged my fudge. It won't set. (even in the fridge)
Was it because I had to use an electric whisk to beat it?
It also tasted disgusting - like melted sugar and condensed milk - I had to throw it away.
Someone give me a decent fudge recipe please - just traditional vanilla. I can't find decent fudge for sale anywhere so I have to make my own.

Can you also enlighten me as to what exactly the soft ball stage is. The recipes mention it but don't explain it.

Thanks. I'm not normaly bad at cooking, really. I'm quite gifted apart from my inability to beat things by hand. I mean - you should see my folding skills. :)

Meka
posted by:
Incendiary
Seattle
Advertisement
  • Re: fudge

Mon, November 21, 2005 - 8:01 PM
    Hmm, I don't have a good fudge recipe on hand, but I can explain what the "soft ball" stage is:

Take a clean spoon and scoop up a little of your mixture. Drop it into a cup of cold water. The "soft ball" stage is when the mixture forms a small ball in the cold water that easily squishes between your fingers.

You can test all kinds of candy stages using the cold water in a cup method. I've been told that for real accuracy, a candy thermometer is best, but I've never gotten around to buying one, since I make candy only once or twice a year.

Mon, November 21, 2005 - 8:51 PM
    I am somewhat reluctant to admit this in this lovely culinary tribe, but I actually use the Never-Fail Fudge recipe from the folks at Marshmallow Fluff:

www.marshmallowfluff.com/htm/fudge.shtml

Replacing regular marshmallow fluff with raspberry- or strawberry-flavored marshmallow fluff gives a nice fruit touch to the finished product.

Excuse me while I cower in shame now.
    • Unsu...

Re: fudge

Mon, November 21, 2005 - 9:05 PM
      i used to make marshmallow fluff sandwiches as a kid. i would either have the fluff with peanut butter or nutella on white bread.

my mom makes here peanut butter fudge with the Fluff. Its taste great and melts in your mouth (only peanut butter fudge i will touch)
      • Unsu...

Tue, November 22, 2005 - 8:30 AM
        The Marshmallow Fluff is the way to go. Sorry!
    • Unsu...

Tue, November 22, 2005 - 8:44 AM
      No need to cower :)

I use that one too. It's pretty foolproof and tastes great.

I didn't know fluff came in different flavors. I'll have to check that out.

Tue, November 22, 2005 - 11:16 AM
      You should hold your head up proudly that you can transform something as disgusting and icky as fluff (on its own I can't stand the stuff) into delicious and decadent fudge -- you should be lauded, not shamed! I can't think of a better use for fluff.
      • Unsu...

Tue, November 22, 2005 - 12:48 PM
        Here is the Toll House fudge recipe that I swear by. I've never made a bad patch, just remember to keep it on the stove until you have trouble stirring it.

recipecircus.com/recipes/S...FUDGE.html
        • Unsu...

Tue, November 22, 2005 - 12:54 PM
          Here it is again in a nicer looking format (I think): www.ehow.com/how_12592_m...e%C2%AE.html

Tue, November 22, 2005 - 10:10 PM
            Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.
            I am looking for a Vanilla fudge recipe - and I really do prefer the traditional english style. No marshmallow fluff or anything like that - preferably a recipe that leaves the fudge with a grainy texture, and that uses cream instead of condensed milk.

I am beginning to think that I did not get my fudge up to the soft ball stage as I did check the temp and it only got to 225*F - and wouldn't get any hotter...maybe I wasn't simmering at a high enough temp - it looks like it's supposed to thicken naturally at 230F - I'm guessing the sigar molecules polymerize at this temp??
            Man - I was so tempted to add flour too..heh...

Thanks much!
            Meka

Wed, November 23, 2005 - 9:18 AM
              Basic 'English' fudge recipe:

1 lb sugar.
              1/2 pint milk ( NOT condensed)
              2 oz butter

Flavouring of choice.... my personal favourite, either coffee ( several teaspoons of instant coffee), or chocolate orange ( grated zest of one orange and 2 oz cocoa powder)

Put the sugar and milk ( and cocoa or coffee powder) in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.

(grate in zest)

Bring to the boil and boil until it registers 120C/ 240F on a sugar thermometer or forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.

Remove from the heat and leave for 5 minutes.

Stir in the butter in small pieces.

Pour fudge into a greased 8" square tin and allow to cool before marking into squares.

Easy peasy, and usually all done in half an hour.............

(For the best vanilla fudge, use vanilla sugar)

Wed, November 23, 2005 - 9:20 AM
                US equivalent:

2 cups sugar
                2/3 cup of milk
                1/4 cup of butter

Wed, November 23, 2005 - 9:39 PM
                  heh - awesome - thank you so much - for the conversion too - our pints are different and I may not have thought of that...
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Wed, November 23, 2005 - 9:44 PM
                    My god - the day I made eggs benedict and I added twice as much vinegar to my sauce because I was using tablespoons instead of desset-spoon sized volumes of vinegar (even the tablespoons are smaller here). Disaster.
                    And then today in the supermarket trying to find rice paper for my ricciarelli and everyone kept trying to sell me this crappy stuff for spring rolls - i eventually found what i needed at a bakery supply store!
                    They called wafer paper here sometimes - and insterestingly - the translation from Italian (Ostie) to english is wafer too.

Be warned english folk cooking in america - it's an obstacle course.

Recent topics in "Recipe Exchange"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Banana Bread questions petra 50 July 7, 2013
Sprout Recipes Scarlet 1 April 5, 2013
20 ways to cook eggs dr mork 0 January 25, 2013
Bacon spread 3 December 2, 2012