1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water
6 Tablespoons Butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cider vinegar
¾ cup heavy cream, divided
½ teaspoon rum extract
4 12-0z. bottles of cream soda.
1. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
2. Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar, and ½ of the heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
4. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining ½ cup of the heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 – 3 minutes.
5. To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 glasses (about ¼ cup for each glass). Add ¼ cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.